Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Romo and Jessica sighting!!!!

Disclaimer: This post is published by Toby. Although I do have a secret passion for gossip magazines and I buy them for my wife so I can read them, this occurrence was really not that big of a deal....okay it was kind of cool.

Yesterday Cari and the kids and I went to the four seasons hotel in Irving to visit one of my former players, Cliff Pennington, who is the second basemen for the Oakland A's. He and his wife Missy were with the team as they are playing the Texas Strangers.

After about 30 minutes of chit chat in the lobby, Cari takes Cade and Ainsley to the bathroom and Cliff, Missy and I are talking off-season, contracts, etc. (all the old blab from the agent days.) As we are talking, a couple walks in and is standing right in front of us. My mind identifies that it is Tony Romo and Jessica Simpson as my speech trails off like a guy in brain surgery. Now I am not easily star-struck. I don't do memorabilia, I don't do autographs, and I have met and hung out with my fair share of pro athletes (you guys impressed? Scoreboard! Geez, I sound like a groupie.) However, the common everyday sighting of the "kris klein" likeness of Romo with the much-maligned Simpson in full glory was pretty cool.

Ironically, Romo was in generic Cowboy gear. He looked like every other 27-year-old in the metroplex. I could have plugged in Romo on my thursday night flag football team and nobody would have noticed. Normal. Random hair, style challenged, but normal. But the pride of JJ Pearce was a different story. She had a big flashing neon sign over her head that said, "I really want you to know that I am Jessica Simpson and my boyfriend is trying to be understated but I am definetely not."

Missy, Cliff's wife, in her sweet small voice said after the encounter, "I didn't have my glasses on so at first all I could recognize was, 'oh that girl's top fits a little small.'" So to leave out details, I will leave it at that, they meandered their way to the elevator, whilst Cari is in the Ladies room changing a poopie diaper.

As I tell Cari what she has missed just outside the door to the restroom, we are surpassed by the red-haired greatness of Ashley Simpson, Mamma Simpson, and 6 or 7 simpson handlers or hangers on. Mamma Simpson commented on Ainsley, which was pretty cool, and bless Ashley's heart, she just looked really tired.

In conclusion, lesson re-learned is that everybody is just people. We all just people. Jessica looked just as stressed out with the millions as without. Ashley was just tired. We hope they are happy, and we hope they are enjoying life. I know I am enjoying mine, without the neon sign or Tony Romo. (I actually have Drew Brees on my fantasy team, sorry Tony.)

No comments: